Monday, January 16, 2012

A fridge full of salmon and a koala in a gumtree

Three weeks after Christmas I'm sure everyone wants to forget about it for another year and get on with paying off the debt, so I'll keep this short.
Mini CC!
Presents were opened and parental interests were foisted on the young.

Like most people in the privileged western world we stuffed ourselves on Christmas day. Somehow for 6 adults (and 3 little people) we ended up with Ham, Turkey and Salmon sitting on the table. Add to this the salads, nibbles and deserts and I'm surprised we were able to move afterwards. 

We have recently rediscovered the joys of  potato salad  thanks to egg free mayonnaise. I know, i know if it doesn't have eggs it ain't mayo...but if it quacks.  98% fat free from Praise and I love Coles are both egg free and vegan too! (Aldi is egg free but has rennet).........so anyway the point is I got to eat potato salad for three days. 

Despite living in Australia, this is the first Koala I have seen in the wild. No they are not on every street corner. 
Uninvited dinner guest

We also had three days of salmon thanks to the smallest fish available being 4kg! And so the creative use of leftovers begins! 



I cooked the salmon pretty simply in the first place (giant roasting dish, butter, lemon dill, splash of white wine) so was able to turn the leftovers into pasta, pie and pancakes. Om nom nom!!!

Salmon pie and pumpkin scones
Since the Christmas season brings my parents and my brothers birthday I also used the great old style kitchen to make pumpkin scones for a birthday brunch. I love Belinda Jeffery's recipe  although I seldom use buttermilk and usually use milk with a tablespoon of vinegar. My scones have come out a little flat after I ran out of baking powder (arrowroot and a bit of extra bicarb seemed to work as a substitute) however they still tasted great!

The salmon pancakes were super easy. We just used the regular pancake recipe and chucked in some salmon! Served with a dollop of sour cream and some chives they were a decadent brunch. 

Salmon Pancakes
The salmon pie was another easy one. A simple shortcrust pastry, top with a salmon mornay and they some mashed potatoes. I'll write out a proper recipe for this later (it's a fall back that we eat variations of regularly)

Vintage 70's thrifted skirt and matching Christmas pressies (not deliberate I swear!)

Happy washer-upperer

Thats it for Christmas!! Hope yours was just as great as ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment